Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.4 Mk1/2 Bolt Identity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No.4 Mk1/2 Bolt Identity
    Posted: September 02 2014 at 4:16am
he!!o- New guy here. Just bought my first of what should be many Enfields, however I know little about them. Have a question about the bolt. Checked some info and know it's a Factory Thorough Rebuild done in 7/52 and has very few miles since, very clean but there's no numbers on the bolt, just BT on the top in the, oh I'll say groove (have to check into the bolt parts and their actual terms) I figure during the rebuild the rifle got another bolt so this one is not matching to the rifle. Didn't realize this when I bought it,  does this affect the value much? Tell you what it is an excellent shooter, accuracy is an understatement up close or at a distance (200 yds is as far a shot as you can do at our informal range) and the action is tight yet very smooth and positive. Never had anything like it, own lots of milsurp guns, mostly Mausers and Mosins and now going in the direction of Enfields. Will have lots more questions in the future. Thanks guys-

Sponsored Links

boomhauer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 2:47pm
he!!o Owlmirror- had the headspace checked by the gunstore I bought it from. They told me it was good-If I die shooting the rifle my wife will sue them till their great grandchildren are poor their entire lives. The bolthead is a number 2, the firing pin is just a bit inset in the bolthead and the pin is nicely pointed, really doesn't appear to have seen much use. 

Don't hold their value? I'll bet they at least keep up with inflation if they're in good shape and stay that way. And in a few years, depending on the politics of dancing, who knows? 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 8:29pm
The No4mk 1/2 are generally excellent rifles. It is quite possible the bolt was replaced during the FTR.
What is important is that the lugs have equal contact. If it shoots really well then thats a good sign of it being OK, but worth a look anyway. Use prussian blue or similar to see the fit.
I also own a No4 Mk1/2 and it also very accurate.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 9:27pm
The bolts were always matched by serial number while in the military. It was a specific check during reassembly.

What happened after they were sold off was the bolts were shipped separate from the action & the importers frequently couldn't be bothered to re-match them when unpacking thousands of rifles. Quite understandable when you figure in they were being sold off during a glut of military bolt actions & fetched between $5.00 & $15.00 a pop.Censored

Once it was realized that there was a reason for matching them some less reputable places did something called "forced matching". What happened was the original serial number was ground away from the rear face of the bolt lever so it wasn't different from the receiver's number!

If you look closely at the rear of the bolt handle you can usually see where the metal was removed to eliminate the non-matching number, which was always required under British law.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
boomhauer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 3:15am
Wow-between 5 & 15.00? How long ago was that? Like the old Faces song goes, wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger. Least I think is was the Faces.  Zed I'll do the blue, sounds like a good plan. You know I'm not to concerned about matching numbers, this rifle is going to stay in the family a long time. Should have seen the look on my son's face when he was busting cinder blocks at 200 yds with it (they were found discarded at the range, figured we were repurposing)

Hey Zed can you own and shoot centerfire guns in France? I mean legally?

OK thanks guys-
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 4:45am
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 5:11am
In France you can legally shoot centre fire large calibre rifles and pistols as well at a specified gun club. However there are quite a lot of legal hoops to jump through to get the pistol licence. The military rifles are a bit easier now since a change in regulations last year. No fully auto anything though, which is ok by me as you can't use them for targets or hunting, there's not much point! What we lack is enough decent ranges to shoot 200 + yards. You can't just go down the field and shoot. Small cailbre .22 is also popular.
I compete in Military rifle competitions with my No4 Mk1/2 .303 and with the No8 .22LR, they are still competitive.
Regarding values, you'll pay more in Europe than the USA, but they are going up in price; probably doubled in the last 4 or 5 years for good ones. Worth keeping!
boomhauer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:54am
Think I'll put up the extra 3 bucks and get the NRA Very Good one.  I can remember ads in the back of the war comics I bought as a kid in the mid-60's for Argentine Mausers, thought they looked so antiquated, couldn't imagine anybody wanting one. Ran across a thread on another forum where a guy's dad saw them and bought 4 at 17.00 apiece, unmutilated (not sportified) and with the crest intact. (exlpetives) Oh welllllllll.

Zed glad to hear you can do some shootin' in France, kind of thought all European countries were like England. Yes my friends, maybe there is hope.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 7:46pm
In England, law abiding citizens can still shoot rifles and hunt with a lot of legal paperwork and checks, as far as I know hand guns are out unless it's .22 calibre with an extension on the handle so you can't hide it under your coat. Hunters can have a larger calibre revolver for kill shots but only allowed 2 cartridges in the weapon.
These rules don't apply to Criminals who can basicallly have what they want in any calibre Ermm
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 8:50pm
Europe is considerably more diverse & firearms oriented than most Americans believe.
boomhauer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 2:42am
Good. Seems all you hear about is a global firearms ban. 
boomhauer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 4:14am
Hey guys I just found the numbers on the bolt-and they match! I was looking for stamped numbers like on my other old guns but those Brits-so subtle- put the numbers on the back of the bolt and not a real heavy stamping, doesn't look like a forced job, appears original. Well me happy!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 4:23am
great news, the bolt number on my FTR'd (1952) Faz is also quite a small and light stamp. Very neat in fact. Now you'll have to shoot it!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 4:53am
They may not even be stamped.Wacko
A lot of the later ones were electropencilled, a tool like the Dremel engraver with a vibrating carbide tip was used to "write" them via a stencil.
If they look stippled & shallow that's probably what you are seeing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic