Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A moral dilemma if you will...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A moral dilemma if you will...
    Posted: September 08 2018 at 7:59pm
To each his own and whatnot.
I finished my project and I find myself facing my own personal moral issue now.
The rifle itself started life as a 1944 Maltby. Eight years later it finds itself at the Fazackerly plant getting spruced up. Fast forward to mid 2017. It is now in the hands of a 49 year old male. He looks at it,posts some pictures of it online,puts it in a nice soft case and shoves it under his bed.
Until a month ago. This now 50 year old dude wakes up from a deep sleep, reaches for the rifle and starts disassembling it,still in his underpants. He has had challenge set forth to himself to construct a Target rifle from the Maltby. He successfully completed that task. Now is where his moral dilemma comes into play. Did he or did he not destroy the original historical integrity of this rifle? And if so,to what extent? And by technical definition,is this rifle, a sporterised rifle now?
I sometimes think way too much...
Sponsored Links

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 8:06pm
yes , you might well be overthinking , i have a personal rule not to alter what is original without first seeing that it can go back to original , if its been messed with previously i see no issue with furthering its alteration , i still limit what i do by the originality that remains when i start but that is me - you are you , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 8:26pm
The original barrel is junked on the inside. I have an original No4Mk1* barrel. In the grand scheme of things all I did was swap one barrel for another one of a different caliber and swapped out the original rear sight for an aftermarket one. I still have the Mk2 stock set that was on it when I first bought it.
It just messes with me for awhile if what I did is wrong or right in regards to any modifications made to a rifle I own.
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 7:11pm
hope you offer that original stock set to a restorer so they can get theirs where they want it , i see no real issue with where you went but we have not discussed what has been lost here - a44 maltby might be of interest to some , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 7:31pm
I wouldn't even know what to ask for it. I know what they're going for but I think that is way to high. Anyone willing to trade for a L42A1 rifle magazine?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

hope you offer that original stock set to a restorer so they can get theirs where they want it , i see no real issue with where you went but we have not discussed what has been lost here - a44 maltby might be of interest to some , 

My Santa Fe Special is a 1944 Maltby. I could in theory restore that. Still have a F52 barrel that would fit on there nicely. However,I did install that Sarco No32Mk11 scope and scope mount on it. So I'd have two fake T rifles...
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 8:14pm
sounds a nice example to me - go for it , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic